Saturday, June 13, 2009

Hasta Ahora

No fotos in this update...just a quick one from Marce´s house. Marce being my 2nd companion in the mission field. She´s from buenos aires and I´m here at her family´s house. So, about the travel...I got lucky in Salt Lake and they were able to check my luggage there and get it sent all the way to Buenos Aires. But when I got to LA I got totally lost and couldn´t find out where I was supposed to go to check in with the other airline. I had to go outside walk around and across over to the international airport...man if I had to carry all that luggage with me too I would have died. So, I get finally about the LAN plane which was taking me to lima. Nobody spoke english, I thought I was going to die, but the plane was super nice, they even had perfume in the bathrooms and everything. There were a ton of chinese and japanese tourists who were headed to cusco and macchu picchu that didn´t understand english or spanish, the poor guys. So I get off in Lima and wander around looking for where I´m supposed to go wait, but it doesn´t say anything on my ticket. Long story short, I had to wait for six hours just to find out which gate to wait at and then another few hours after that point. First I walked around and I met some super sweet japanese ladies who didn´t speak a word of english or spanish but somehow we communicated. They shared a lot of japanese candy with me and I thought that was really nice, but I didn´t like the dried seaweed. It´s amazing how people can communicate without words. Well, finally I gave up walking around because everything was closed and I tried to find a place to sleep, but airport benches are not comfortable, although I guess I did fall asleep for awhile because when I woke up I only had 2 more hours to wait. That airport was FREEZING! Also a ton of people were walking around with the white masks on, I think it must be because of the swine flu.

So I get on the plane to Buenos Aires finally. I got a good few hours of sleep on the plane. I land and have to wait for hours just to get through customs...talk about a pain. Then at baggage I could only find one of my bags and I was super worried at that point because I still don´t know what I´m doing really. This guy who worked at the airport was really rude to me and i thought to myself "welcome to buenos aires amanda". Anyways, turns out my bag was missing and that it would probably show up the next day. So I go to get a taxi and they´re super expensive but anyways, I needed to get to the temple hostel. So the taxi guy helps me call marcela and she told me that she would meet me there. I get there and I walk in the front doors and who is standing there? My buddy elder Mohor...Robert. I was so surprised and relieved and tired. But anyways, he helped me figure out everything and I got a bed at the hostel and changed and Marce showed up and we went to the temple and chatted afterwards and had a grand old time.

Later I will upload a picture of the nice women that I shared a room with in the hostel. One of which traveled from Utah the same day as me...she had just finished her mission on temple square. It was nice because she wanted to speak english still and I was tired of speaking spanish. Also, that night I kept getting terrible charlie horses in my calf muscle and Carolina was so sweet she hopped up to reach me in the top bunk and massaged my muscle until it went away. That´s what I totally love about the latin members, they love you even when they don´t know you!!! Okay, more later about how I spent my friday and saturday in buenos aires!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you arrived safely. It sounds like an adventure. I've wondered if a person get tired of speaking another language. It makes sense to me, even if you are fluent.

    I love your observations about communication. It isn't necessary to speak the same language to communicate trust, love and compassion. There are many ways to show those and if we listen to our instinct we will find others to help us along the way.

    ReplyDelete