Monday, June 15, 2009

Okay, so the next day was Friday and I woke up and Marce and Robert were both working so I took my sweet time showering and getting ready, wandered around the temple complex for a bit and then went in for awhile. So I met up with Marce and I had her call the airport and figure out what was happening with that missing bag of stuff for the Navarro´s. I guess it got stuck in Los Angeles but they told her it was on the way and they would deliver it as soon as it arrived so she gave the airport her address. We decided that I would go spend the night at her house Friday night so we hopped on the bus with all my stuff (minus the missing bag) and took it to her house, then we rushed over to the bus terminal to buy my ticket to go to San Luis on Saturday (it´s not like in Mendoza where you can buy you ticket the same day...like right before you go). I LOVE riding busses in Argentina, they get so crowded with people, moms are picking up their kids from school, people travelling to and from work. I love how every bus driver has a friend or someone who makes friends with him and stands right up by his side the whole time making commentaries about how badly everyone else drives. Also I would add that they drive so crazy here. I don´t think anyone ever comes to a complete stop. I noticed the stoplights turn green to yellow to red...but then they also change back from red to yellow then back to green. Then we had to rush back to the temple to meet Robert. So we met him and headed off to Capital and La Boca and San Telmo. Again, I love riding the bus...I love how crowded they get and watching the people talk to each other. We drove by the Casa Rosada and El Obliesco which I´ll be honest, are cool to see but I didn´t care enough to get out and take a picture because then we would have had to walk way far to La Boca. We got off at La Boca and I took a ton of pictures and also of the Boca stadium and then we walked to Robert´s house in San Telmo. What an awesome building...I would seriously live there it had the BEST view. Well, Robert was tired, he´d been working since 4 in the morning so Marce and I went back to her house to get ready for the dance. Oh, by the way, some time during the day I found out it was Marce´s birthday, she was turning 27...Have I mentioned how much I LOVE HER!!! She is the best, and so are her parents...she has 2 brothers who left for the mission field at the same time, one in Uruguay and one in Paraguay. So the four of had a great dinner of chicken and french fries for Marce´s birthday and then we got ready to go.

Okay, the JAS (young single adults) dance was so fun. I ran into a bunch of people from the mission...Sebastian Casco, Ariel Ciciari, Juan Surache and some that I didn´t know before like Rosa Tolaba and an Elder Navarro. We ended up hanging out with Marce´s friend Marilyn and Eva Aguirre and a bunch of people from her stake. I was feeling super gringa but started to get the hang of how they dance and was having a blast until this guy asked me to dance and I tried telling him that I couldn´t understand him because the music was so loud and I didn´t speak Spanish very well but he kept asking me questions. So finally I understood that he was asking me how old I was so I told him and he was like...wow, that´s old....so I asked him how old he was...and he was 19!!!!! About a minute after that I think he got bored and we stopped dancing. Ha ha ha. Marce and I laughed so hard, she said he was probably just looking for a novia. Silly boy. I will just add that I loved watching how well these guys can dance and it´s not femmy or anything they move really well in a masculine way.

So the next day Marce had to go to work at 5 in the morning even though we didn´t get back from the dance until 1 thirty in the morning. Her dad came back home around 10 in the morning and Marylin and I were still sleeping!! So Mari had to go to work and I went with Brother Terrazas to work. So there I was in the Feria working with Marce and her family in their fruit market, so fun. I mostly just watched and drank mate and ate TONS of fruit but when it was time to close up at 1 I helped load up all the leftover fruit and boxes and cleaned up and we headed back home to nap. After that 9 thirty arrived so soon (when I was supposed to leave for San Luis) so Marce and her mom and I headed off to the terminal. They are so sweet, any time we ever left to go anywhere we had a prayer and they prayed for my safety. So they gave me a lot of tips and warnings for walking around in Mendoza and San Juan and I was off.

That bus ride was awful. The guy next to me was totally drunk, he was nice, but really drunk and he kept elbowing me in his sleep. Plus it smelled awful up on the top floor of the bus and there were no spaces for me to move to. I was in the window seat so I felt really trapped, I just kept pressing up to the window because I was so hot and couldn´t breathe. But 10 hours later I arrived in San Luis at 7 in the morning and hooray, the Navarro´s were waiting for me at the terminal. I can´t even express what I was feeling to drive into my dear city San Luis after almost 3 years. It was exciting to see all the new buildings and to recognize certain places!!!! Okay, I will write more tomorrow about how my time in San Luis has been!

No comments:

Post a Comment